Monday 22 March 2010

30th November - 4th December (WHERE I AM NOW)

My Role:

Work completed between the 30th of November – 4th of December:

During this week my responsibility was to create a moodboard for our film ‘No Typical Love Story’, which I created on Animoto, as it allows me to insert images that I wish to be featured in my visual moodboard, which the website then renders and adds effects to enhance the video resulting in it looking more interesting. The images featured in the visual moodboard were of film posters, characters, locations and other images which are related to our film and which inspired our film. In my moodboard I featured the film poster of ‘A Cinderella Story’, ‘Mean Girls’, ‘Beauty & The Geek 2’ and ‘High School Music 3’, which are all films which inspired our film. Images of locations were featured in the moodboard which will be used as some of the film locations, such as; Paddington Gardens and Marylebone High Street. The reason as to why these are our film locations is due to the fact that St Marylebone is based just off Marylebone High Street, and is close to Paddington Gardens.

Another responsibility I had was to create an animatic for our film, using Christina’s shot list which she typed up for me. Through using the shot list, I drew each of the shots by hand, which I tried to make as realistic as possible, in order to get a realistic idea of what our film would look like in real life.

When drawing all the shots for the animatic, I used a template which had four empty boxes per page in which I would draw each different shot in. Through using the template, it ensured that all the shots were symmetrical in size which resulted in a much more professional looking animatic. The challenging part of designing the animatic, as I had to draw several different shots per scene to achieve an illusion that the character is moving in the animatic. The more shots I did per scene, the smoother, professional and realistic the animatic would look. However, I was constrained with time, I limited myself to a maximum of four shots per scene. I scanned all the drawings for my image instead of photographing them to ensure that the quality of the images in the animatic were high. Once I had scanned all the images for my animatic I opened them in Adobe Photoshop, in which I cropped them all to the same size. Instead of using Windows Movie Maker, I decided to use flash as it allowed me to edit the animatic more professionally and add effects such as slow motion, zoom, fade in/out as well as well as editing the speed of the cuts. All of these editing tools ensured that my animatic was of a high quality and professional looking. The key final part of creating my animatic was deciding on the frame rate of the video, which was a key element as the higher the frame rate, the smoother the image. However, I could not have my animatic run at 25fps, and at the same time ensure that it looks professional. Therefore, I decided that the optimum fps for my animatic was 10-15fps, which made the animatic a bit longer as well, which was a positive. I also added the film title at the beginning of the animatic, and the strap line at the end. The final part of ensuring my animatic was professional was adding a soundtrack which I downloaded off the internet, and I thought was suitable for my animatic. The soundtrack I added was a mellow song, which seemed a little sad as there is a sad part to our film. Therefore, the soundtrack used complemented the animatic well, and resulted in a much more professional looking animatic.

Once the animatic was complete, I uploaded it on Youtube as well as Vimeo, which I then used the embed code to embed onto my blog.

In the upcoming week I will be presenting our film, which will focus on a variety of aspects with regards to the film. Once I have completed the presentation, my next responsibility will to edit the filmed footage on Final Cut Pro.

No comments: