Monday 22 March 2010

Film Poster - Research

Progress over the past couple of weeks:

As my responsibility in the group was editing the filmed footage on Final Cut Pro, and using other applications such as Motion. As I have never used Final Cut Pro nor Motion I have been familiarising myself with all the shortcuts and tools at my disposal to ensure that my teaser looks as professional as possible. The first application I used was Final Cut Pro, where I had to capture and log all the footage onto the Mac. As I only needed to certain scenes, and many scenes were re-shot, I had to select the best of each scene. In order to select the correct footage, I had to use my shot list and teaser plan, as this identified to me what the group wanted the teaser to look like, and secondly where on the timeline should each scene be placed.

Also, simultaneously I had to start planning for the poster for our film. Therefore, I had to perform research on other film poster similar to our film genre and which I personally thought were aesthetically appealing to the eye. The poster which appealed to me the most was the film ‘Remember Me’ which is a ‘Romantic Drama’. However, the main reason as to why I chose to analyse the poster is due to the fact that for our photo-shoot for the poster we intended to take black and white photos, and as the ‘Remember Me’ poster had a black and white background image I thought that using that poster to inspire my poster would be ideal.



As you can see the poster for ‘Remember Me’, it uses simple layout, and is uncluttered but still effective. The colour theme is consistent, and complements the black and white poster well and effectively. Also, the layout is also effective as it does not cover the main image, but still features all the codes and conventions of a typical film poster. The difficulty and challenges I would face with designing an effective black and white poster is colour choice, as not many colours complement a black and white image. Since, ‘Remember Me’ uses a deep red for its font colour, and since ‘No Typical Love Story’ is a romantic comedy, red will complement my poster image well as well the story line of the film. The billing box is placed under the title which I thought of implementing in my poster as the two main actors in my film would be placed below, with a white background above them, in which I would place the title, strap line and billing box. Overall, I really think the ‘Remember Me’ poster is an effective and simple poster which is exactly what I want for my film.

Another film poster that I analysed was ‘Adam’ which does not use a black and white image for its poster, but it does use a simple but effective layout which I personally think suits our film.



Another film poster that I analysed was ‘Adam’ which does not use a black and white image for its poster, but it does use a simple but effective layout which I personally think suits our film.

Through analysing the ‘Adam’ film poster, it simple yet effective once again. The main image is placed in the top half of the poster, and bottom half is used for the title, strap line, nominated awards and billing box. Aesthetically, the poster is simple yet effective, which results in a sophisticated looking poster. The bottom half of the poster is white and clear cut with the top half being the image. Through the bottom half of the poster being white, it contrasted well with the title, strap line, billing box and nominated awards. Also, the colours and fonts complement the image well, as the font colour is blue, and there are a variety of shades of blue in the image which result in the fonts and the image complementing each other well, resulting in a consistent theme throughout the poster. The strap line is placed above the title of the film, and both use a serif font which complement the poster image well as the characters seem to be in their late 20’s to the mid 30’s. Therefore, through using a serif font, it results in a more mature and sophisticated looking poster targeting an audience in the age bracket of 25-35. Through splitting the poster in half, in which I will use one half for the image and the other for the titles etc, which is an idea I extremely like and am strongly considering using for my poster. However, as the poster is not black and white I don’t know how my poster will look with a black and white image, and whether it will work. Overall, personally I think the poster is simple, but sophisticated at the same time which is exactly what I wish my poster to achieve.

The reasons as to why I selected these two posters as inspiration are due to the fact they are of a similar genre, and I thought that through analysing posters of a similar genre will inspire me and allow me to create a poster which is effective in capturing and appealing to its target audience.



500 Days of Summer is another simple yet effective, with the sophisticated look of a poster I am striving to achieve with my poster. The poster uses predominantly neutral colours which results in a clean finish such as white, cream and light blue. The selection of colours complement the image of the poster well, as well as the Sans Serif font, which all combined result in a consistent theme throughout the poster. I was considering using the poster layout with Chase sitting on the top of the tile, and a close-up of Sam’s face at the bottom with a neutral background. Also, the top half of the poster has a notepad background, which isn’t too obvious but is noticeable. Since my film is related with teenage love, I thought including a notebook effect would complement my storyline well. The placement of the title in the poster is in the centre which is good as it will capture the audience’s attention. Another witty effect on the poster is the use of the strap line over the notepad background which creates the effect of a diary, and with the male character sitting on the title writing complements the whole top half of the poster extremely well. The final feature on the poster which I may feature on my poster is any nominated awards for the film, which may give my poster a more authentic look and feel.

No comments: